Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ishant denies supporting Buchanan on multiple captaincy

Kolkata Knight Riders pacer Ishant Sharma on Tuesday denied supporting KKR Cricket Manager John Buchanan`s multiple-captaincy idea, saying he favoured single leadership for his team in the Indian Premier League second season.

Ishant had been quoted as saying by a news channel that Buchanan`s multiple captaincy idea should be tried if KKR wants to improve its performance this season, but he denied the comments attributed to him.

"I have not said anything in support of the idea. It will be good for the team if we have only one captain. I don`t know how having four captains will work," Ishant said.

"I don`t know the team strategy. I will know only after I reach South Africa and meet my team members. So, I can`t say anything more, whatever is good for the team I am for it," said Ishant at the unveiling of KKR team apparel from Reebok, the official merchandise partner of the side, here.

Asked which one was more satisfying for him between the tour of Australia early last year and the historic series win in New Zealand recently, Ishant said, "In Australia I made my name, people came to know of Ishant the fast bowler. But the New Zealand tour was also a big thing as we won the series after 41 years."

Ishant also refused to pick his favourite for the IPL second season starting April 18 in South Africa.

"I can`t say which team is the favourite to win. It depends on the momentum of a team in the tournament. Keeping the winning momentum will be important," said the 20-year-old pacer who leaves for South Africa tomorrow.

Asked whose wicket he would want most to take in the IPL in South Africa, Ishant said, "There are lot many batsmen whose wicket I would want to take. But, Sachin Tendulkar`s would be something special. He is legend of the game."

No comments: