Thursday, April 16, 2009

In-form Harbhajan seeks success in IPL

New Delhi: Harbhajan Singh sat down with CNN-IBN to look ahead to Season Two of the IPL. Leaving the nightmare of slap-gate behind, Harbhajan says he is a changed man, and his performance in New Zealand will be the ideal springboard for the IPL.

On New Zealand tour

Harbhajan Singh: It was a very good tour, not just for me but for all the team-mates. We won in New Zealand after 41 years, which is great. I've been on tours before, but we couldn't do well on previous tours to New Zealand. But I'm happy we have done it this time.

Critics will never be quiet. They will still find something else to talk about. I don't play for these guys. I play for my country, which is more important than listening to what goes around. I know what I'm capable of doing and what is my contribution to Indian cricket. I don't need to prove anything to anyone.

CNN-IBN: Over the past eight months or so, your best has come in Test cricket, taking 70-odd wickets during this period. What is so special about your bowling these days? Have you changed anything in your bowling, or is it the experience you have got better with?

Harbhajan Singh: Let me correct you first: it's 80 wickets. I have not done anything special and I haven't changed anything in my bowling. I've just been bowling freely and playing a lot of cricket at the right time, giving my best shot whenever I've gone out to play for India.

CNN-IBN: The last IPL didn't have good memories for you. You must be keen to set the records straight and do well for Mumbai Indians.

Harbhajan Singh: Whatever has happened is over and done with. We all make mistakes learn from them. I've learnt a lot, I've moved on as a cricketer and I'm looking forward to doing well for the IPL for Mumbai Indians. Keeping my fingers crossed that I perform the way I have been.

About the Mumbai Indians side

Harbhajan Singh: We have a very balanced side with a good mix of youth and experience. We have a lot of players who can win games for us. We have Jean-Paul Duminy, the new man in the team, Kyle Mills, Lasith Malinga who is fit. Apart from them we have Sanath Jayasuriya, Sachin Tendulkar, Zaheer Khan, and a lot of other youngsters as well who can win games for us.

We just need to play some good cricket. You can't really say who will win in Twenty20 cricket. All I can say is that the effort will be there, and we'll give our best shot to win games for Mumbai Indians.

No comments: